The Friends of the British Columbia Archives (FBCA) is an incorporated, non-profit society managed by a Board of Directors elected from the membership. The FBCA was founded in 2000 and the purposes of our society are to:
- Promote, encourage, and facilitate scholarship, research, and public
engagement related to the archival collections of the Royal British Columbia
Museum and Archives and the documentary heritage of British Columbia.
- Advocate for policies, legislation, and strategies that support accessible and
public services at the Royal British Columbia Museum and Archives.
- Develop, encourage, and assist with initiatives that support local and regional
archives, primarily in British Columbia and Canada.
- Assist the Royal British Columbia Museum and Archives in acquiring,
preserving, and making available records that have archival value.
- Build and grow a sense of community and purpose among members of the
Society through the sharing of information and ideas, and by creating
opportunities and events that foster interest in the use and support of
The FBCA is a registered charity and issues tax receipts for donations. Our bylaws and constitution can be read by clicking here (link to PDF). For information about the BC Archives visit http://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/bcarchives/
Meetings, Events, and Workshops
Members receive a quarterly newsletter featuring articles about FBCA activities, the British Columbia Archives and its holdings, hints for researchers, planned activities at the Archives, and various discounts.
Events and workshops are offered throughout the year to members and the general public on topics connected with the BC Archives and its operations and the history of the province. The Annual General Meeting of the FBCA is held each year during the month of October.
FBCA Board Members (2018/2019)
- President: Dr. Kelly Black
- Vice-President: Caroline Duncan
- Secretary-Treasurer: Dr. Patrick Dunae
- Communications Officer: Aimee Greenaway
- Members at large: Chris Hanna, Dr. Steve Koerner, Kathleen Kyle Barlee, Denton Pendergast.
Snail Mail: Friends of the BC Archives c/o The Royal BC Museum & Archives
675 Belleville Street